Saturday, September 5, 2009

Negative Content

After my recent post of "Life Is A Sport", I received many emails questioning whether or not I was "ok"... which is why that post was followed (hours later) by "A Man Rejuvenated".

Human beings require a lot of things to feel alive: family, love, sex… but we only need one thing to actually be alive: we need a beating heart. When our heart is endangered, we respond in one of two ways: we either run, or we attack. There’s a scientific term for this: fight or flight. Its instinct. We can’t control it.

At any given moment, the brain has 14 billion neurons firing at a speed of 450 mph. We don’t have control over most of them: when we get a chill - goosebumps, when we get excited - adrenaline. The body naturally follows its impulses, which I think is part of what makes it so hard to follow ours. Of course, sometimes, we have impulses we would rather not follow.

The body is a slave to its impulses, but the thing that makes us human is what we can control. After the storm, after the rush, after the heat of the moment has passed, we can cool off and clean up the messes we’ve made.

We can try to let go of what was.

So, this is my request for forgiveness for having articulated my thoughts in what was taken to be a negative way. I was not trying to be negative; I was trying to be real. That's what this blog is about - its an update on me in Africa. I never said it would always be happy and nice... but I can tell you that it is real.

I did, however collect one email of support about the "negative content" post, from a dear friend, Rich. He said,

"I think you are allowed some "negative content" and you certainly did not offend me! After catching up on your blogs, I can assure you that as I head out at 5:00pm, knowing I will be home in 10 minutes, that I will NOT be thinking about how "difficult" my day has been. Instead, thanks to you, I will take a few minutes to give thanks for ALL of the little things I try not to take for granted (but do anyway) everyday and say a prayer for those that are much less fortunate.

I always enjoy reading your blogs and I am still amazed at what you and the crew of the Mercy Ship have given up to help people that think they have absolutely no hope. The number of lives you guys touch every day is mind boggling. Thanks so much for caring enough to share the good and the difficult with us. I will certainly continue to read your blogs and pray for your continued strength and well being!

Take care and know that you are making a world of difference to many even if there is some "negative content" every once in a while!"

So here we go another time... the good, the bad, and the ugly: all found at Life With A Mission.

No comments: