Monday, September 7, 2009

Fate In Your Own Hands

In the eighth grade, my class had to read Romeo and Juliet. Then, for extra credit, we had to act out all the parts. As fate would have it, I was Juliet.

I tried to tell my teacher that Juliet was an idiot. For starters, she falls for the one guy she can’t have, then, she blames fate for her own bad decision. It was explained to me that when fate comes into play, choice sometimes goes out the window.

At the ripe old age of 13, I was very clear that love, like life, was about making choices, and fate has nothing to do with it.

Everyone thinks its so romantic: Romeo and Juliet: true love… but my thought is - how sad.

If she was stupid enough to fall for the enemy, drink a bottle of poison, and fall asleep in a mausoleum. She deserved what she got. But maybe Romeo and Juliet were fated to be together, but just for awhile… and then their time passed.

If they could have known that before hand, maybe it all would have been okay. I told my teacher that when I grew up, I would take fate into my own hands, I wouldn’t let some guy drag me down.

My teacher said that I would be lucky if I ever had that kind of passion with someone, and if I did – we would be together forever. Even now, I believe, that for the most part, love is about choices. Its about putting down the poison, and the dagger, and making your own happy ending… most of the time.

But sometimes, despite all your best choices, and all your best intentions, fate wins anyway.

3 comments:

Sher Sutherland said...

I admire your ability to share your mind and provoke other (our) minds to really think. You have a gift... Thank you for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing young lady with a strong spirit. How else could you do what you do?
I can see why Collin enjoyed your company. Some of the things you come up with remind me of him. He walked to the beat of his own drum. That beat was always strong and determined. I really can't remember a time before he left home that he ever let anyone do his thinking for him. How well I know about trying to do the right things, giving it all you've got and still .......Life here on earth is not always about happy endings and pretty thoughts.
It's OK to question. I do it daily. It can make you dig a little deeper and search a little harder. (I usually come back to the fact that I am not in control of anything) I can only get on board and go where He leads me. God made you just like you are and for a purpose. Love ya!

Nikki Dittmer said...

Theoretically, I have a choice but am I really choosing between one or the other? Or does God (all knowing) already know, therefore I'm not really choosing, I'm following His script? I guess I don't mind the idea since God promises never to hurt me, only to build me up. But what about the people who he has scripted to go to Hell, to be selfish and prideful, to be murderers and rapists, to revolve around power and wealth... why does God allow, plan, script some people to go to Hell? Is it really someones fate or destiny to go to Hell? As if God has his chosen from the beginning and the rest are just out of luck?