Friday, December 18, 2009

Numb - Last Day At Sea

A patient’s history is as important as their symptoms. Its what helps us decide if heartburn is a heart attack, if a headache is a tumor.

Sometimes, patients will try to re-write their own history: they will claim that they don’t smoke, or forget to mentions certain drugs… which, to some, can be the kiss of death.

We can ignore it all we want, but our history eventually comes back to haunt us. Some people think that without history: our lives would amount to nothing.

At some point, we all have to choose…

Do we fall back on what we know?

Or, do we step forward to something new?

Its hard not to be haunted by our past. Our history is what shapes us, what guides us. Our history resurfaces time after time after time, so, we have to remember that sometimes, the most important history is the history we are making today.

Physically, I am ready to go home – I have been packed for days!

But emotionally… well… I have a whirlwind of emotions right now. It is so much of a cluster that I can’t even put my thoughts and feelings into words.

The developed world is nearly upon me and so much anticipated, yet it is also a cut so deep that it doesn’t even bleed. It’s a cut so deep that it doesn’t even catch me off guard. So, I guess, one could say that, currently, I’m numb.

No comments: