Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Own Tribe

It is an urban myth that suicide rates spike at the holidays. Turns out... they actually go down. Experts think its becuase people are less likely to "off" themselves around family.

Ironically, that same "family togetherness" is thought to be the reason that depressions rates actually do spike at the holidays.

There's an old proverb that says, "you can't choose your family", you take what fate hands you. And like them or not, love them or not, understand them or not... you cope.

Then there's the school of thought that says the family you are born into is simply a starting point. They feed you, they clothe you, and they take care of you... until you are ready to go out into the world... and find your own tribe.

Happy Holidays.


Sandra, Suey, and I
Roommate Christmas Photo
Africa Mercy 2009

4 comments:

suzanne said...

Its 4:30 am and here I sit, wide awake, with tears in my eyes. Turns out I still suck at transition, Go figure. I love you, my Stacy, I miss you so much.

The Peet Family said...

We miss you too Stacy. Hurry back. Olly & Sally

Nadine said...

Merry Christmas! Love you. Come visit Canada okay!

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Good Blog.
Portugal