Saturday, May 23, 2009

Xanax, Dramamine, Valium, and a Benadryl

Meetings, work, meetings, sleep. Repeat.

Life on a ship can become hastily mundane. Complaints come effortlessly, laziness is next to avoidable, and the commonalities of developed world are coveted.

I received news last week of events that unfolded back in my hometown of Quincy. Events that caused me to need to be home, fast. Setting my whirlwind of emotions aside, I started to analyze the logistics of being able to go home. There was a seat available for me on a Sunday night flight leaving Benin which would put me home 96 hours after the news.

Could things wait that long?

Another issue was the monetary aspect of it all. I could afford the flight home and back, but after that… my crew fees could not be met.

Do I regret missing life changing events for the rest of my life?

Or do I stay where I know God has put me?

When faced with these questions, you start to realize that the things you complain about, daily, really do mean a lot to you. Not until I was faced with the decision of having to walk away from the mission field did I realize how much I was instilled with the desire to be there.

It is absolutely amazing to watch the support systems come out of the woodwork in times of trial. Regardless of PACU having been short-staffed all outreach, a nurse steps up to relieve my position. Monetary issues slowly become less of a burden. Prayers start to rebuild your faith and strength. All of these aspects allowed for me to be able to come home for two weeks.

The flights, overall, were fairly good. 36 hours of USA Today, New York Times, foreign films with subtitles, French food… all in all, I was in a slight euphoria after all listed above. Had a bit of turbulence throughout all flights – worst being Paris to Atlanta. There was a moment when I’m pretty sure we lost control of the plane. Turbulence doesn’t bother me… but this was scary. Many people were screaming( – which totally helped). It felt like it does when you land, and you sometimes do that side to side shifting thing while the wings flap up and brakes go on…. But it was when we were in the air. I had taken Xanax, Dramamine, Valium, and a Benadryl, and I was still nervous – if that tells you anything. (And no, I was not one of the crazies who was yelling.)

One week left here at home. There are days that just fly by, and there are days when its hard to get up off the floor. Nonetheless, God is good, and home has been refreshing.


2 comments:

SMC said...

Hi Stacy! My name is Sarah--I attend The Crossing in Kirksville. I served with Mercy Ships as a nursing student in 2001 on the Caribbean Mercy, and I was surprised to hear Pastor Jerry talk about Mercy Ships yesterday. He gave me your blog address--I'm excited to read about your adventures.

I'm currently in medical school in Kirksville, hoping to one day serve on the mission field. I've remained pretty connected with Mercy Ships, especially the past few years, as my dad is now a board member, and we've become good friends with the Stephens.

Enjoy your time on the ship! Thank you for posting such incredible pictures and stories--it keeps the fire alive when studying gets mundane.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.