Friday, May 8, 2009

A Crooked Smile Goodbye

I assumed I had until next Tuesday to figure this out, I was mistaken. Today, my much loved, little foot stomping, crooked smiling, best hug provider was discharged. Initially, she was scheduled to have completed her post-operative care on Tuesday, but last night, she spiked a fever and her mother brought her back to the ship as directed. Once arriving to us… no fever… no complaints… hole in her mandible healing well – actually, it was almost completely healed. She was nothing but a little ball of cuddle and smiles – which I took full advantage of! After 30 minutes of delaying the post-op nurses from doing their jobs, I rubbed her head – she closed her eyes, I gave her a big bear hug squeeze – her arms latched around me, I bent over and kissed her puffy cheek – she had the world’s biggest smile.

I will miss the stomping coming from up the corridor. I will miss her random and not-schedule-following visits. I will miss my favorite little girl of Benin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you'll miss her, but that's the idea! It's awesome that the Mercy Ships team could change her life! She'll never forget it and neither will Jesus!
Love you!
Mom & Dad