Monday, October 7, 2013

Inductive Bible Study (11 months later)

This past week at The Kanakuk Institute (KI), we took an in depth look at Inductive Bible Studies (IBS). I have never participated in an IBS prior, and there was quite a bit of learning I had to endure. I learned how to do an IBS and its importance.

The key to studying the bible can be broken down into 3 steps: Observation, Interpretation, and Application. When starting with observation, look for repetition. Also, ask who, what, where, when, why, and how. Follow those questions by asking, "What does this passage mean by what it says?" This is the interpretation part. After completing those two steps, you must apply it. This can be broken down into two categories: Believe (doctrine) and Behave (actions). In other words, what do I do with it?

The reason all of this is important when reading your bible is that it causes you to slow down. It would be fairly difficult to do all three steps while reading the passage only once, and therefore, makes you re-read. Slowing down also causes you to look for the obvious: repeating words and significant words.

Even though this new process seems tedious and time consuming - I am looking forward to beginning to study my bible this way. I have hopes for  great outcomes from the actually "studying" of the word, and not just reading it.

(11 months later = the last time I posted.)

No comments: