Sunday, October 4, 2009

I Want Nothing More Than To Be In Your Shoes

"I turn 26 in three weeks... which really isn't a big deal... but then I realized that I'm definitely on my way to 30... and that scares me. I mean... I don't have a life. I'm single, homeless.... don't really have alot going for me (other than I'm debt free!)".

I was quoted saying this in a recent e-mail to a friend. I say this because... well, the dream is this: that we will finally be happy when we reach our goals. Find a guy, have a good job… that’s the dream. My goal has always been Africa, but its funny how much that loses meaning once reached.

He then responded by saying, "I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so unsettled. I've been thinking about your e-mail since I read it a couple of days ago, marveling at how little we appreciate what we have. I've got everything you say you want-I'm in a relationship, with a house--and I want nothing more than to be in your shoes."

Then, when we finally reach our dream, and if we’re human… we immediately start dreaming of something else. Because, if this is the dream… then we would like to wake up… NOW, PLEASE!

At some point, maybe we acknowledge that the dream has become a nightmare. We convince ourselves that reality is better. We persuade ourselves that its better that we never dream at all.

But the strongest of us, the most unwavering of us… we cling on to the dream... or we find ourselves with an unmarked dream that we in no way considered. We awake to find ourselves against all odds – feeling hopeful. And if we’re lucky, we realize – in the face of everything, in the face of life, the true dream is being able to dream at all.

My dream, my instilled desire to be here... its been renewed. Sometimes, sharing dreams... sharing struggles... sharing feelings... it can change everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stacy!!! I really liked your blog. Its weird because I was just thinking of the same thing last night....while being upset haha. I am super glad though that other people think the same thing. But I relate to your blog and hope that I can find my dreams renewed!! Miss you...Jennie Nobis

Stacy said...

Thanks Jenn, I miss you too. I keep up with you from time to time via Facebook or links that Ty posts. Love to read your writing - its like I can hear your voice. Your dreams will be renewed - give it time. Know that I love you and I miss you... and thanks for being my world-traveler buddy. (At least we have someone we can talk to - hahaha.) Stay Well Girl!