Monday, April 6, 2009

"You'll Never Believe What I Have For You Next!"

Upon recent conversation with a friend, I find myself left with the question…. Who has more of an effect on me here? The people I work with, or the people I serve? One would like to think that its all about Who you serve, which, in the mission field plays a huge role. But, consequently, the day to day to-do lists and roles often down play this agenda and you are left with what is in front of you, literally. So, for both sides of the argument…..
The people that I work with are astonishing people, most are intelligent beyond what they can actually perform here. We represent over 40 countries worldwide, yet all live in the same metal box – and things work out, they run unbelievably smoothly at times. As my friend put it, “Its like we have gathered all the crazy people who want to work in Africa, and we put them all together.” We are nothing but a positive feedback loop. We continue to thrive off one another in both a directly and indirectly positive way. Everyone is stressed, everyone is tired, and everyone sees the need that they can just not work hard enough to satisfy… but all of that keeps us going. We also see one surgeon performing X number of surgeries a day, which causes another surgeon to want to do X number more. Never, in the developed world, would people work as hard as they do here, never in the developed world would people follow-up on their patients like they do here, and never in the developed world would people develop relationships with patients as they do here. As he said, “Just a bunch of crazy people, all thrown together.”

On the other hand, there has to some something about the culture, something indescribable effects you। Personally, I think it goes back to the fact that you grow like the people you love. In spite of of the fact that I am a person of cold-climate, and regardless that I have been trained to not care (beyond medically important) for the patient, I have developed a love for the patients here. Never have I felt the love that I receive from a baby who’s cleft lip we corrected from a patient at home. The way that they snuggle into you, even when they can’t protect their own airway. The way that they find comfort in your arms, even through their post-surgical pain. They way that they trust you regardless of everyone having abandoning them due to their deformity. Never have I seen a women progress through a complete transformation, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually like I have with the VVF ladies. Where these women can once again become a part of society, and to herself: an actual human being. You can’t help but love on these patients. You can’t help but develop relationships. You can’t help but be changed.
God has been doing amazing, amazing things in my life. He finally hit me upside the head with a 2X4 to wake me up, but, nonetheless, I am awake, I am alive, I am here. He has brought some amazing people into my life here, people who have helped me to grow, people who have helped me trust, people who have helped me to conquer. He has also returned valuable people to me once again. People who have been good friends, through thick and thin. People who will be here in the now, and there in the future. Life here in Africa is trying at times, but fulfilling and full of adventure. So, what is my answer to this question? Africa. Its all about being here, living in the presence of God. Being where He wants me to be without questioning. Being here even though close friends and family find it hard. Being here, even though I find it hard.
God has already shown me some amazing things, and even more exciting, He is saying, “Just wait…. You’ll never believe what I have for you next!”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Yeah! Just wait!!
Love you!

triciaj said...

You are amazing! I love you! XOXOXOxoxo

Kelly, Katharina, Miriam & Betty Lou said...

Hey Stacy,
very well written - thank you for sharing your heart. I am excited to see what God has next for you !!
Keep it up, you doing a great job.
Love, the Grizzards

suzanne said...

You rocked your first blog. Well done roomie, well done.
;)